My son was given this after surgery is it oxycontin and how do I dispose of it if it is?

Anonymous 15 Nov 2010

If you can, please hit comment and list the name of the medication, it didn't come out in your post.

oxyaaron 15 Nov 2010

it is probobly oxycodone 5/325 thats pretty much the standerd after all most any king of surgery unless the patient is already on a stronger med to begin with but if so it is the same ingrediant as oxycontin only a lower dose and dont dispose of it as he may need it for pain but be careful and hold on to it for him cause he could like the way it makes him fill so give only as prescribed

christineATU 15 Nov 2010

Good advice!

oxyaaron 15 Nov 2010

thanks ive leared quite a bit of stuff of about how meds and hospitals work as in the last year i have had to be hospitaized a couple times and after my first surgery(i call it a surgery cause they had to put me to sleep and it was just getting an infected tooth cut out and they gave me the oxycodone 5/325 that was when i couldnt control myself i wouyld go back every 4-5 days and tell them it still hurts and it did have a dry socket but i would get usualy 20 or 30 percocets every time i went but i know alot of people who get 5/325 after surgery after my brother was born by C section and when the sowed her up the stiches came loose and she was bleeding alot and hurting and they gave her percocet but watch out its addictive as hell

booter46 16 Nov 2010

Yes good advice aaron, very good points

subsailorslady1980 15 Nov 2010

If you really need to dispose of a controlled medication or any other medication I would contact your local pharmacies and ask them if they have a disposal program. Most areas do have a program, either at a pharmacy or at a police station that will legally dispose of the medication. It is their way of trying to keep them from being distrubuted on the street. I know that the area I live in has a program through the sheriff's office that will take them and give you a voucher for them to show that you have disposed of them. If he has recently had surgery keeping them around for a while might not be a bad idea just in case something happens and he needs them again he would at least have something until he could get back to the doctor. You could also contact the doctor that prescribed them and they may be able to tell you how to dispose of them properly. Hope this was helpful.