My kid has eczema, the Dr. prescribed Zantac75. in what way does this med. work for eczema?

Rajive Goel 11 Nov 2010

Zantac is a medication that is available both as a prescription medication and an over-the-counter drug. It is used to treat conditions related to the esophagus, stomach, and intestines. Specific Zantac uses include treatment or prevention of the following conditions:

Duodenal ulcers; Gastric ulcers (stomach ulcers); Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD); Erosive esophagitis; Pathological hypersecretory conditions (conditions in which too much stomach acid is produced), such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome or systemic mastocytosis.

Zantac is considered to be a H2 blocker, also known as H2 receptor antagonists, are medications used to treat a variety of gastrointestinal conditions. They decrease the amount of acid produced by the stomach.

Production of acid in the stomach could cause eczema in children, Zantac is prescribed to reduce the production of acid thus preventing formation of eczema.

However, you could also seek a second opinion, hope the info helps? Wish you luck with your kid.

Anonymous 11 Nov 2010

Thanks so much for explain that, I live with an older adult whom I suspect strongly suffers from Autism and he has Gerd really bad and excema. I realize he is older (71) and in bad health for a person that age, but his mom told him long ago that they tested him at school and he is SMARTER than everyone else and I can't say I believe that but he does. He is hard to deal with sometimes because he has a superiority complex and he thinks he is a genius, so, even though I try to get him to take his Nexium, he only takes it when he feels like it. Some conditions that are present in early childhood come back when someone is older I think. Thanks Rajive.