My friend had valley fever & pneumonia now he's dead at 36 he was on dapsone, what was it for?

silmarien 3 Sep 2011

From Wiki: Dapsone (diamino-diphenyl sulfone) is a medication most commonly used in combination with rifampicin and clofazimine as multidrug therapy (MDT) for the treatment of Mycobacterium leprae infections (leprosy). It is also second-line treatment for prophylaxis (prevention) against Pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP) caused by Pneumocystis jiroveci (formerly P. carinii) in HIV patients in whom CD4 counts are below 200/mm3

Seems like he was put on a drug that would possibly have helped him, though I don't know the rest of his medical history, so it could've either been caught too late (pneumonia can be very dangerous if it isn't treated early), and the Valley Fever could've weakened him too much (it's a fungal disease - was he being given an anti-fungal medication as well?).

I'm sorry for your loss. :-(