My dr is switching me from effexor xr to celexa, what is the difference?

Delila 6 Jan 2011

Hi there isn't a big difference actually. Both drugs are in the same group of anti-depressants; SSRI's and work in the same way. They also have very similar side effects, etc. They have different active ingredients though so may be more or less affective depending on the person. It is a good drug to try if the effexor isn't working for you. I take them myself and they are working well for me : )

tc0777 14 Jan 2014

Actually I was told by my Dr that Effexor is an SSNI which works differently to a SSRI, such as Celexa or Zoloft.

tc0777 14 Jan 2014

Actually, had it slightly wrong. Effexor is an SNRI. Works in a slightly different way in (hopefully) balancing serotonin and norepinephrine. (sp?)

Delila 15 Jan 2014

Hi, i've just seen your comments. Apologies for my mistake. I guess i was a bit wet behind the ears when i wrote that. Effexor is an SSNRI. I have provided a link including concise information..
https://www.drugs.com/effexor.html

tc0777 16 Jan 2014

After a number of other meds (including some with pretty nasty effects) so far so good on the Effexor XR.

Celexa was by far the other best alternative for me in the past, over Zoloft prosac etc etc. Good luck to all.

Anonymous 10 Jan 2011

Celexa is an SSRI, and increases seratonin only. Effexor is an SNRI,
which would likely make you more energetic because it works on NorEpinepherin as well as seratonin.

They are not exactly the same and Celexa would likely calm you more than the Effexor. But everyone reacts differently. There must be some reason he is taking you off the Effexor, so take your doctor's advice and let him know how you feel.

Effexor (Venlafaxine)
Venlafaxine is used to treat depression. Venlafaxine extended-release (long-acting) capsules are also used to treat generalized anxiety disorder (GAD; excessive worrying that is difficult to control), social anxiety disorder (extreme fear of interacting with others or performing in front of others that interferes ...

Never took it, so I only know what I read online.