My doc wants to up my lexapro to 40 mg. as lower doses have not worked. Anyone have exp. at 40 mg?

LaurieShay 7 Apr 2011

Hey aruba,

Clinical studies have not been conducted on doses above 20 mg for Lexapro as far as I can read. Literature says:

The recommended dose of Lexapro is 10 mg once daily. A fixed-dose trial of Lexapro demonstrated the effectiveness of both 10 mg and 20 mg of Lexapro, but failed to demonstrate a greater benefit of 20 mg over 10 mg.

Although a chemically related medication, Celexa, is prescribed at doses of 40 mgs. so maybe that is what your doctor is banking on.

Maybe you need to give it a try and if it doesn't help over the next month you may need to try a different antidepressant. There are many to choose from and what works for one doesn't always work for another. Unfortunatley it is a trail and error sort of deal.

Good luck,

Laurie

aruba2010 8 Apr 2011

Thanks for your answer. I have some issues with obsessive thinking and my doctor says that sometimes higher doses of lexapro have to be used for this. He says the max he would prescribe for lexapro is 40 mg. so if it doesn't work, then it'll be on to something else. I guess I was hoping someone could tell me that 30 mg. didn't work for them but 40 mg. did. It's hard to start all over again with another med when it takes weeks to see if a med is going to work (meanwhile you're feeling like crap). Anyway, thanks again.