I’ve been on mirtazapine for almost a year, alternating between 7.5mg and 15mg at night to put me to sleep. Without it I don’t sleep at all, no matter how hard I try and what I’ve done. I’m also on 40mgs of fluoxetine which I have been on and off alternating doses of 20mg and 40mg for almost 5 years (under doctor supervision of course, I’m not stopping this medication or changing the dose on my own!). But since being on mirtazapine I have gained almost 15kgs, and no matter what my diet is or how I exercise, I just can’t seem to lose it and keep gaining! I’m convinced it’s the mirtazapine causing it because I never had a weight issue before starting it.
So I’m wondering if there is an alternative to mirtazapine, that will help put me to sleep, without the weight gain? Preferably not a benzodiazepam as I was on lorazepam for about 6 months in 2016-2017 and I hated the way it made me feel, and I know my doctor is going to be unwilling to prescribe one!
So any suggestions? I’m trying to do some research before seeing my psychiatrist in a few weeks
Thanks!