Are you taking a birth control pill? There are several schools of thought, your choice!
1. The only types of antibiotic that interact with birth control pills and make it less effective are rifampicin and rifabutin - so there is no need to wait.
2. The effectiveness of birth control pills may be impaired by antibiotics. However, the risk appears to be small. To be safe use another method of contraception whilst taking the medicine and for another 7 days.
- Metronidazole Information for Consumers
- Metronidazole Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Metronidazole (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Can Metronidazole Gel affect oral contraceptive? If so how long should I wait after unprotected sex?
Posted 8 Apr 2010 • 1 answer
Posted 19 Apr 2012 • 1 answer
Posted 16 Apr 2014 • 2 answers
Posted 12 Feb 2016 • 1 answer
Posted 25 Mar 2016 • 0 answers