I thought the infection was cleared, my husband's is now experiencing pain, redness... can he use the gel?
This is a tricky situation. These type of infections need to be looked at as two patients not just one.
The optimal way of treating once the doctor has diagnosed the yeast, etc:
-Treat both of you at the same time even if he doesn't have symptoms.
What you are experiencing now is what happens if only one is treated.
Men don't necessarily have the symptoms yet still carry the bacteria.
- He needs to go right away to get a script.
The sooner he gets treated the sooner you can have sex.
- You need to take your meds exactly as directed!
- There needs to be a waiting time AFTER you completed the course of antibiotics prior to having sex. A week is generally what is recommended. Symptom-free and then a week. If you are still having ANY symptoms after completion you need to be rechecked. Most often it's resolved but you may need more or a different med.
So symptom free and then a week.
-Now in your case, he needs to get treated and wait a week before it's safe to have sex.
The down side of this is that you will be reinfected again if he's not cleared up.
Jennaka; yes Windchime pretty much has it nailed for you. And more so because your husband is showing symptoms, He has to see the doctor or you are both going to continue to toss it back and forth. Until you both have been treated and you hold of with sex for about a week to allow the medication to do its job and even when your done let all the medication is still working for a few days afterward and there could be just enough for one of you to reinfect the other. Good luck. Chuck1957
- Metronidazole Information for Consumers
- Metronidazole Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Metronidazole (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 30 Aug 2012 • 1 answer
Posted 2 Oct 2014 • 1 answer
Posted 24 Oct 2015 • 0 answers
I was prescribed metronidazole vaginal gel for bacteria vaginitis. I am to take 5 doses at bedtime.?
Posted 6 Nov 2015 • 0 answers
Posted 29 Sep 2017 • 0 answers