Methotrexate - I was told this like another form of chemo. is it ?

itsmetoo2 9 Apr 2010

Yes, this is what I found of the net"

"Why would this drug be used?
Methotrexate is used to treat choriocarcinoma, leukemia in the spinal fluid, osteosarcoma, breast cancer, lung cancer, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and head and neck cancers. It is also used to treat other cancers and non-cancerous conditions.

How does this drug work?
Methotrexate is part of a general group of chemotherapy drugs known as anti-metabolites. It prevents cells from using folate to make DNA and RNA. Because cancer cells need these substances to make new cells, methotrexate helps to stop the growth of cancer cells. "

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CDG/content/CDG_methotrexate.asp

JohnySmith 9 Apr 2010

Methotrexate is a drug used to treat various conditions, including rheumatoid arthritis, certain types of cancer, and psoriasis. It comes in the form of a tablet or injection

bacterial 10 Apr 2010

Hi pattajadam
Its true that Methotrexate can be used as a chemotherapy drug for cancer patients where I understand a larger dose is used. It can also be used as a steroid sparer or immunosuppressant for patients with rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory diseases. I am on Methotrexate for polymyalgia rheumatica where the only effective treatment is steroids and the Methotrexate reduces the amount of steroids needed. Long term use of steroids can cause side effects, so ideally the lower the dose the better. Though the Methotrexate is a chemotherapy drug, try not to worry about that as it is a very effective drug.

Best wishes, bacterial