Is metformin being taken off he market my son was recently prescribed this medication?

MeggieGirl 7 Dec 2016

I don't see any possible way that could happen, unless you're living in a specific country. In the United States, it is one of the most commonly prescribed medications and is made by many pharmaceutical manufacturers into generic medications. What did you hear that give you the impression it was being taken off the market? May be that the brand name wasn't available?

Uncltodd 7 Dec 2016

Metformin has been the "first line" diabetes med for about 50 years, according to my pharmacist... Consistent results, fewest complications, few side-effects, and inexpensive! Talked with him a few moments ago, he has heard/read nothing about the FDA's considering pulling Metformin from the US market.