How do I get off of metformin?

Uncltodd 10 Jun 2017

Took Metformin for 3+ years, my A1C was stable at 5.2. Five months ago it had dropped to 5.1... After discussing my personal "lifetime' diet changes, my doctor advised me to quit Met for 30 days. Within 48 hours, foods, all kinds! started to taste "normal" again, my chronic gas decreased, my BM's were more regular, my "dry mouth" went away... In other words, most of the side effects I had grown used to subsided quickly! I had NO adverse effects from withdrawal. Oh, my A1C climbed all the way to... 5.3! and has stabilized at that number. Emphasis on LIFETIME dietary changes! Good luck!

lgraham2 10 Jun 2017

Thanks so much for that information. I keep getting mixed info about the value of Metformin and if I mention quitting any of my medications, my Dr. is unhappy. I just want to feel better.