Medicine to treat anxiety due to abuse?

MeggieGirl 16 Aug 2016

I think you're asking for a list of medicines best known for helping those with anxiety caused by PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). They are grouped into categories based on what type of medication they are, and in general, Benzodiazepines are the most beneficial at treating acute anxiety attacks, but the least often prescribed due to abuse/addiction potential. Now, the below list is geared to be only those specifically geared for PTSD:

BENZODIAZEPINES:
None - but all of them treat panic, generalized anxiety, and phobias, and can still be potentially helpful

BETA BLOCKERS:
None

TRICYCLIC ANTIDEPRESSANTS:
Imipramine (Tofranil)
Desipramine (Norpramine, Pertoframe and others)
Amitriptyline (Elavil)
Noritryptyline (Aventyl or Pamelor)

MONOAMINE OXIDASE INHIBITORS (MAOIs):
Phenelzine (Nardil)
Tranylcypromine (Parnate)

SELECTIVE SEROTONIN REUPTAKE INHIBITORS (SSRIs)
Fluoxetine (Prozac)
Fluvoxamine (Luvox)
Sertraline (Zoloft)
Paroxetine (Paxil)
Escitalopram oxalae (Lexapro)
Citalopram (Celexa)

SEROTONIN-NOREPINEPHRINE REUPTAKE INHIBITORS (SNRIs):
None

MILD TRANSQUILIZER:
None

ANTICONVULSANTS:
None

If you do a little research on some of these medications, you can be an informed patient when you visit your Dr.! I hope this helps, and wish you all the lck. :0) Meggie

Windchimes123 16 Aug 2016

Hi Megs,
Inderal was big back in the 80's for public speaking phobias. It calmed the tremors and heart racing experienced in front of a group.
I'm just curious if you (or anyone) knows if Inderal is still being used.
Thanks

MeggieGirl 17 Aug 2016

Oh, interesting! I hadn't heard of that connection! Yes, that beta blocker is still in use today - I took it not long ago as a migraine preventative. I think I took the brand name; it was called Propranolol.

Oh and P.S. to the original poster... I meant to wish you luck, not lck... BIG difference! LOL

Windchimes123 17 Aug 2016

Yes Propanolol ! Did it work as preventative?
I was over the moon about a new script that took away a headache that I've had for years - Imitrex.
First time I got it filled :
Pharmacy filled 9 on a script for 15.
Ok ... pharmacy error but we were traveling and I didn't want to go back. I would call primary at home.

Second script:
I went to pharmacy, came home and it was for 9 pills !

I thought my primary was getting bad info from the initial script.
Primary visit:
I got all uppity (Lol) with her for giving me a ridiculous # of pills for the month. I was taking them daily. I could feel my h/a coming on an hour before dose was due so I know it was real.
Primary told me she wrote for #30 tabs

MeggieGirl 17 Aug 2016

Those idiots! 9 is 1 pack, right? I get 15 Imitrex a month, and they just give them to me as pills in a bottle. BY THE WAY, if you're taking the white Imitrex pills and they're not working, and you want the original pink triangles, ask for the manufacturer Sun Pharma. My Walgreens orders them in for me every month and they're no extra cost to me. The others have fillers or something that render it ineffective.

It's possible that Propranolol might have worked under normal conditions, but at the time I was a lightweight to narcotics, and Percocet would give me some relief. I had a migraine from April to September. You read that right; 1, 5-month long migraine. I was in short-term disability, having every imaging test known to man, (of Fioricet helped - just remembered that), and didn't realize that I was making myself worse.

Windchimes123 17 Aug 2016

Extremely interesting ! I have a problem with mild. If I go into a hotel room, the first thing I do is sniff to make sure it smells clean. If I detect cover-up air freshness I leave. Black mold,I understand has no odor.
What wonderful friends ! In the long run it was a small price to pay to get rid of the headaches.
Inderal probably wouldn't have worked. It was used originally to decrease the heart rate. Someone figured out that taking it before public speaking would decrease the appearance of anxiety. Until then, it would have been a tranquilizer and would have appeared drugged if they didn't use it on a continual basis.