What medicine can be used for panic atacks?

cupcake7667 15 Jan 2013

Hi russd60,

Simply said: SEVERAL :) Are you just starting to have panic attacks? If so, I'm sorry. They're awful. So there can be something called a generalized anxiety disorder or panic disorder which would be diagnosed by your doctor where you're relatively anxious all the time with panic attacks on top or where you just have acute or sudden onset panic attacks. I have panic attacks as well as anxiety, but my anxiety isn't 24/7 and I can keep it at bay by using benzodiazepines.

Delila 15 Jan 2013

Hi, some people benefit from taking an antidepressant/anti-anxiety medication daily if the panic attacks are occurring regularly. SSRI's for example, as Cupcake has suggested. Other options are Diazepam, Librium, Propranolol... to take as needed, if the panic attacks are further apart. There really are many options. I would suggest that you discuss them with your doctor. What is best for one person may be different for another. Sorry there is no easy answer!

Fragilexmom 15 Jan 2013

My Dr. has me on Lorazepam(Ativan) 1mg take 1 tablet everyday as needed for anxiety. It works good for me.

pickles503 16 Jan 2013

Hi there russ. These are some meds used for panic attacks:
Prozac
Paxil
Zoloft
Effexor XR
Xanax
Klonopin
Lorazepam (Ativan)

I have severe and I mean severe, panic attacks. I take 4 mg of Klonopin, 400 mg Lamictal and 2400 mg of Gabapentin per day. When I feel a panic attack first starting to come on I take 600 mg of Gabapentin and 1 mg of Klonopin. This is what my psych recommended. It works great for me. I also take this when I feel uncontrollably angry. The important thing is that I'm aware of the anger or panic right away, so I can get a handle on things before I do something stupid and regretful.
I pray you find the right medication/medications for panic attacks. No one knows how awful they are unless it happens to them.