What medicine is good for fibromyalgia?

DancnDar 2 Sep 2016

Everyone is different and different meds work for each of us. I currently am taking Lyrica, Savella and amitriptyline for my fibromyalgia.Years back I was taking Cymbalta(instead of Savella). There is also gabapentin instead of Lyrica and other antidepressants (instead of Cymbalta or Savella). I know this isn't much help.

Windchimes123 3 Sep 2016

No DancnDar you are helpful.
Fibromyalgia is a matter of treating the symptoms.
There is no pill that cures fibro.
It's a hit and miss situation with attempts to find the right drug and dose.
Best wishes to you.

DancnDar 3 Sep 2016

Thank you Windchimes123 :-)

Stormcloud2 14 Sep 2016

I've tried Lyrics but what is Savella? Acetaminophen and ibuprofen especially are really the only two that do much. As for Elavil, I just do not feel much change.

DancnDar 14 Sep 2016

Savella (milnacipran) affects certain chemicals in the brain called neurotransmitters. An abnormality in these chemicals is thought to be related to fibromyalgia (a medical condition that causes chronic pain in the muscles and joints). Savella is not used to treat depression but it works similarly to how some antidepressants work. Savella is used to treat the chronic pain caused by fibromyalgia.

Savella is in the same family as Cymbalta but I haven't seen anything about people having the same withdrawal symptoms. I switched from Cymbalta to Savella and it worked better for me. I also take Elavil (amitriptyline) 150mg for sleep and depression. Plus I take Baclofen (muscle relaxer) 20mg twice a day.