What medications are recommended for middle age female with major depression and severe anxiety?

WildcatVet 30 Nov 2016

Hi, My! There are many options to choose from, but the most commonly prescribed are the SSRI's (Celexa, Lexapro, etc.) and the SNRI's (Effexor, Pristiq, Cymbalta, etc.).
Be aware that every medication affects every individual differently. What works for me may not have any effect on you so don't be surprised if you have to try several different medications to find the best results,
Best wishes and good luck! Brighter days are ahead for you. Wildcat

janiebme 1 Dec 2016

Hi foursons-
You stated that you are middle age. Here are a few option, if you have not tried them. Have your hormones levels checked (pre-menopause), this includes thyroid and glucose levels and have a full panel blood/urine tests done. To rule out anything organic. Maybe try cognitive behavior therapy, acupuncture, yoga, exercise, long walks, a furry companion. Talk to your family or close friend (s) about what is happening. Maybe do what you can afford and are comfortable with before going the antidepressant route. Sometime a short term benzo along with therapy may help. Or a non-addictive med like Buspar for anxiety. Many times depression follows anxiety. Talk to your doctor about the many option.

Anonymous 4 Dec 2016

Hi myfoursons: I totally agree with Janie. You need to get your thyroid levels checked and check to see (through blood work) if you are low in vitamin B12 or Vitamin D3. I have treated my anxiety/depression with an adjustment in my dosage of Nature-Throid for hypothyroidism, Vitamin B12 for anemia, Vitamin D3, Evening Primrose Oil and Biotin to treat thinning hair and hair loss, and probiotics to keep the flora at an acceptable level in the digestive tract. All of these things can throw your system out of balance. All of these supplements might balance you and keep your anxiety/depression at bay. I have researched these same things for a long time, and the above remedies have put me back in a healthy place.

Joselyn 05 5 Dec 2016

Need a little more info, such as are you in menopause, already no bleeding for a year. What to you is middle aged- 50, 60? Any other health problems like diabetes, heart disease, oxygen dependent? As you can see, there are so many factors that can affect our sense of wellbeing. I use a combination of medication; Lexapro, Xanax, diet, exercise and meditation: I'm still anxious! Lol! Not funny; at times I have been unable to leave my home! Looking for a good psychoanalyst to talk to, has helped me in the past. And as others have suggested, a complete physical to rule out organic problems.