What does it mean to say the Klonopin is a cleaner drug than Diazapam?

DzooBaby 11 Sep 2013

Who says this? I'm not sure what they mean by it.

ecurb1998 11 Sep 2013

My doctor switched me from Diazapam to Klonopin and said that it was a cleaner benzodiazapene.

worst year 11 Sep 2013

I was on Klonopin for the better part of 20 years. I am now trying to taper off under the care of a physician. The best person to ask what is meant by saying Klonopin (clonazepam) is a cleaner drug than diazepam (Valium) would be the doctor who said it. Doctors say things like that and get away with it because people do not insist upon being fully informed about the drug that is being prescribed - why is this being prescribed? how long do you intend for me to take this drug? what are the potential side effects? are there any long term effects that I should know about? are there any contraindications with my taking this drug considering the other med(s) I am taking? too late I grow wise...

Anonymous 13 Sep 2013

I was put on klonopin 21 years ago. At the time I was told that Klonopin enters your system gradually and leaves gradually while Valium enters and leaves your system quickly. I do not know if this would be part of the label "cleaner drug" for klonopin. Your doctor needs to explain his comment.