May I cut simvastatin 40 mg into half and use it as simvastatin 20mg?

Rajive Goel 9 Aug 2011

Simvastatin is available in 20mg pills, why do you want break the 40mg pill into half? In case the pill is coated then it would not be advisable to break the tab.

However, please check it with a pharmacist, take care, best wishes.

ccfeng 9 Aug 2011

Thanks for offering an answer.

I knew the medicine is available in 20mg pills, and it is relatively inexpensive. The reason I wish to cut the 40mg into halves is that my cardiologist recently changed the dose from 40 to 20mg, and I still have a supply of almost three months. I don't want to waste the resource if I can do that that would not adversely affect the effect of the medicine.

Rajive Goel 10 Aug 2011

Most welcome, you just need to check it with a doc/pharmacist, if the tab/pill is coated then it would be a problem breaking the pill as the distribution of medication would not be exactly 20mg, I presume that Simvastatin is a coated tab, but please reconfirm this.

Take care, & appreciate your concern for not wasting the tabs that you have.

caringsonbj 9 Aug 2011

without first discussing this with your doctor I would not half the medication, I agree with the question why do you want to half the dose? we just want to be sure you are well and what the doctor would want you to do. Please take care