Is their a major difference in Lexapro over Effexor?

Mackintosh 30 Mar 2015

Yes. They are different classes of antidepressants; Lexapro is an SSRI while Effexor is an SNRI.
Have you asked your doctor about the different ways these meds work? You could also ask a pharmacist.

Anijahlana56 30 Mar 2015

I have I have been on Lexapro for 11 years then today my doctor prescribes me Effexor I just don't side effects and she told me I have to watch my blood pressure and it has me scared a little cause I am on blood pressure meds already

Mackintosh 30 Mar 2015

I have been on Lexapro for about the same amount of time and it's been great for me.
I was put on Effexor XR some time before Lexapro was in the picture, and unfortunately I did not tolerate it well personally. I gave it a fair chance, but it wasn't working. Upping my dose was even suggested by a nurse practitioner but I refused to do that--I knew the Effexor was starting to make me feel very sick. It made me feel anxious & hyperreactive, but I had an extreme reaction (that is probably very very rare) to it for some reason. The best personal advice I can give you is to listen to your body. Also, keeping a daily med journal is always a good idea that can't hurt! I hope you are or can try to be (cautiously) optimistic about the medication switch at this point as well. It may prove to be a wonderful medication for you! I hope that it is, I know it is for many people. Best of luck!