Lyrica - is this medication useful for treatment of trigeminal neuralgia?

Anonymous 2 Jan 2013

Hello b3njaminhappy trail,

Treatment of Trigeminal neuralgia

Your primary care physician, a neurologist, or a pain specialist may be involved in your care.

Certain medicines sometimes help reduce pain and the rate of attacks. These medicines include:

Anti-seizure drugs (carbamazepine, gabapentin, lamotrigine, phenytoin, valproate, and pregabalin)
Muscle relaxants (baclofen, clonazepam)
Tricyclic antidepressants (amitriptyline, nortriptyline, or carbamazepine)
Some patients may need surgery to relieve pressure on the nerve. Techniques include:

Oldriska 2 Jan 2013

I have atypical TN and Lyrica together with antidepressants helped me to decrease pain. I am not sure if it's effective in treating TN of the classic type though - I've heard of more patients being put on Neurontin as the first line of treatment.

Wish you luck with your treatment!
Oli

Kaychi_Jojo 8 Jan 2013

I have just recieved a perscription for Lyrica in treating my TN and I am extremely hopeful that it helps. I will say that per standard I was perscribed gabapentin first and it just did not work for me. It dulled the attacks but within two months the pain was again unbearable. Talk to your doctor and seek out a neurologist if you can!