I had an operation in February this year to remove a benign nerve tumour from my chest. The operation resulted in some nerve damage and nerve pain, and I was prescribed Pregabalin. I started on 50mg a day, but was quickly put up to 150mg per day (75mg twice a day), and then up to 300mg a day (150mg twice a day). It did wonders for the pain once I got to the higher dosage, but the side effects were unpleasant, and my doctor wouldn't let me drive until I reduced my dosage. I was on 300mg a day for about 6 weeks, and have been tapering since the beginning of May. I did the first 125mg over about 2.5 weeks, and had a major mental health crash with anxiety and panic attacks, but at that stage I didn't know what was going on. I reduced a further 75mg over the subsequent 3 weeks, and was continually feeling nauseous, stressed and anxious, and generally unpleasant. I slowed my reduction down to 25mg every couple of weeks which let me stabilise a little bit between reductions, and finally had my last dose a week ago, but the withdrawals are still very, very unpleasant. I have had a couple of good days, but they lull you into a false sense of security. I was feeling good yesterday, and was stupid enough to think I was through the worst of it, and went out and had a few drinks with some friends. Today I feel terrible. Anxious mostly, but nausea too. I didn't drink enough to be hungover, and the symptoms aren't the same, so it has to be the Pregabalin.
I guess I'm wondering how long to expect the withdrawal symptoms to last. I know its going to be different for different people, but I want my life back. I don't feel like myself at all. My libido is raging one day, non existent the next. I struggle with short term memory loss, and I forget what I'm saying in the middle of a sentence. Often I can't find the word I'm looking for, even though it is a regular every day word I use often. I have overwhelming emotional swings. This morning I coudn't stop crying for about 20 minutes, and I've had episodes of crying and sadness quite regularly since I started tapering. I guess I also want to know if it will all go away after time. Does anybody get stuck with these symptoms long term or forever, or is it truly just a case of riding it out? I'm terrified I'm going to be stuck like this. I hate it, and I wish I'd known what this drug was going to do to me so I could've just battled through the pain with physio and other methods, because I feel broken