My daughter just turned 8 and diagnosed with CPP. I am very confused if we should go for the treatment. Her bone age is of 10-11 year old. After reading others experiences I am really confused if taking the risk is even worthy? Like the side effects like weight gain, hot flashes, and othera. And more over my insurance doesn't cover this treatment.
My daughter was diagnosed at age 7. She is 9 1/2 now. We chose to treat her. Our insurance covered a lot of it, but it was still very expensive. She had to have the shots for 3 months (once a month) to see if the drug would work as it was supposed to. The shots were very painful. The needle is twice as long as a regular needle and gets stabbed into the thigh muscle. She would limp out of the office and had to limp around for a couple of days after. Then the blood tests you have to have done after treatments are no fun either, you have a blood draw then an injection of hormones, then another blood draw. No fun for a kid. My daughter never had a problem with weight. She loves her fruits and veggies, but she has never been into sports. After she had her first injection she gained 9 pounds the first month. She gained another 8 pounds after the second shot. As of today she has gained a total of 37 pounds since she began treatment. My doctor swears weight gain isn't a side effect and it is what she is eating and lack of exercise but I know she doesn't have a poor diet and I highly doubt that her lack of exercise has made her gain so much weight! We chose to treat her because we were told that she would not be very tall since you stop growing about a year after you start your period. She was 4ft 3 1/2 inches tall. Today she is 4ft 10 inches.
After she had three shots we were told she could have the supprelin implant which is an implant placed in her arm that is replaced once a year instead of the monthly shots. The supprelin implant is $20,000, but the manufacturer does offer some assistance with the cost, we also applied for bill reduction through the hospital and qualified for that, and after our insurance paid our total cost was about $2,000 when all was said and done.
Today we met with the endocrinologist again and we are supposed to decide if we want to have another implant put in in November when this one needs to be changed or if we are not going to treat her. I am leaning more towards not continuing treatment at this time. I often wonder whether we made the right choice with deciding to treat her in the first place. I still wonder now if we are making the right choice deciding not to continue treatment. If our insurance didn't cover it I know we wouldn't have treated her. We might have tried the shots (I think they are about $200/shot), but seeing the pain she had to go through with those I would not have been able to continue. We got the implant so she wouldn't have to go through that, but the weight gain has been very difficult to deal with. Her self esteem wasn't that great to begin with and it is a lot worse now.
Good luck with your decision, I hope this helped a little.
- Lupron Depot-PED Information for Consumers
- Lupron Depot-PED Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Lupron Depot-PED (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 23 Sep 2009 • 1 answer
Posted 25 Feb 2011 • 5 answers
My daughter had one year of lupron daily then monthly injections for precocious puberty when she was
Posted 12 Oct 2012 • 1 answer
Lupron Depot-PED - My daughter was given lupron injections after being misdiagnosed with precocious?
Posted 4 Mar 2013 • 1 answer
Posted 3 Nov 2015 • 2 answers