How long will I have to wait to take smz/tmp after taking diflucan?

coloresue 10 Jun 2015

I found there's a significant interaction with your drugs and you need to be under your Dr's. orders on when to take which drug. The interactions are:
Significant - Monitor Closely
Potential for significant interaction (monitoring by your doctor is likely required)
fluconazole oral and sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim oral

fluconazole oral and sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim oral both increase causing a dangerous abnormal heart rhythm.

Source: RxList

kaismama 10 Jun 2015

Check with your pharmacist because I checked interactions here on this site and found none. So ask the expert.

DzooBaby 10 Jun 2015

I'm a little confused. SMZ/TMP is not for a vaginal yeast infection. It is an antibiotic and can cause yeast infection, so if they wrote both drugs at the same time (usually given for urinary tract infection and diflucan given for the yeast infection the antibiotic causes), the SMZ/TMP should have been taken first then the diflucan. If the two events were unrelated and you had already taken the diflucan then was prescribed the antibiotics then I would ask the pharmacist how soon you can take abx (antibiotics). If you have an infection, it is important to take asap before infection gets worse, especially if it is UTI (urinary tract infection) as they can lead to sepsis (life threatening blood infection) if ignored too long so ask either your doctor to clarify or ask the pharmacist!