How long does it take Levothyroxine 25mcg to take effect??

endlessPred 3 Nov 2012

Hi, levothyroxine is usually given at higher doses. Perhaps you meant 125mcg?

This is a slow process. Every six weeks or so the doctor is to do another blood test, see how you are adapting and may change the dose. It can take months to adjust. Be sure you get In for the blood tests so that you can stay in touch with the dose your body needs. You may feel better around that time. It is not quick,

Any more questions, please ask.

Lisa01 4 Nov 2012

I started my levothyroxine approximately at that dose and they would increase it every 4-6 weeks. My Dr wanted to start me slowly and gradually increase the dosage so I wouldn't get some of the nastier side effects that are common if you start on too high a dose. Over time it's been increased to 224 mcg. It takes a bit longer to get to the desired levels, but it's easier on the body.
Lisa

endlessPred 4 Nov 2012

Hi Lisa. It is interesting that it depends upon why a person is taking this that makes the difference. I had a thyroidectomy. Another may have Hashimotos and so forth. Some are hypo and some hyper. Each type is dosed differently, I believe.