Can a liver patient take paracetamol for pain?

masso 28 Aug 2014

Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to take paracetamol if you have:
liver disease; or
a history of alcoholism;

https://www.drugs.com/paracetamol.html

Stephen Treloar 29 Aug 2014

The liver clinics in Australia will still recommend using up to half the daily recommended dose of Acetominophen (mostly) to the girls who complain about aches and pains while on combo treatment. I, however will not touch any OTC pain medication at all. NSAID's induce jaundice in me within 24 -48 hours (much less for some) and Acetominophen metabolism is heavily reliant on the Liver and not very gentle about it. Aspirin? I have no idea but as it always causes acid reflux I think i'll spare the esophageal varicies an acid bath. It's bad enough when one starts to bleed however slightly without aggravating it as well just to help it along.

Obviously it all depends on how well your liver works and if the benefit outweighs the risk. I know of people sicker than me who take acetominophen but they will be mostly dead in 2 to 5 years and I just can't be bothered telling them anymore that once decopensated liver failure is sufficiently advanced that getting their SVR on treatment is virtually meaningless, the Liver is simply just not going to grow back for them.