Can lithium be stoped without weaning off?

gayleygirl 22 Feb 2015

Not advisable. I did a fairly fast reduction and then total elimination of lithium in a matter of 2 1/2 weeks. I went from 900 mg a day to 0. Consequently I went through some unpleasant physical and mental experiences that had every indication that I was headed towards a manic episode. After 22 years on lithium with no manic symptoms this was quite frightening. I would have never considered stopping lithium if it weren't for a "Specialist" advising me it "could" harm vital organs etc. Her demands were actually causing me more issues than any lithium dosages I was taking.
My primary care doctor is helping me get back to a manageable level of lithium and has done current blood tests to determine if there are other factors involved such as thyroid medicine adjustment that need to be modified. I wish I had the results to share but it will be another few days before they are complete.
Get a good physician you can trust that will work with you. Please do not try this on your own. Good luck to you.

smileyhappy 23 Feb 2015

No always taper off with your doctor's instructions.
Smileyhappy