Is lithium safe for bipolar?

kaismama 31 May 2013

Lithium is for bi polar disorder. Its as safe as any other med.

ironmaidn 31 May 2013

Hello. Yes, Lithium is extremely safe for Bipolar. I am Bipolar and have been on it since 2004. Working with your MD to get the right milligram dosage is key though.

Blondy77 31 May 2013

My doc asked if I wante to try switching from seroquel to lithium and I've done some research and just not sure. I hear so much good and bad. Like it can be toxic and mess up your thyroid, etc. I'm confused, and I'm doing on on seroquel for about 6 yrs off and on, but it's made me gain tons of weight and so sleepy in mornings. But then again it helps me do much sleeping at night! I try to go down on dosage to make me less sleepy during morning and it helps but then I can't get to sleep for awhile and then I stay up to late and eat since it makes me a bottomless pit!!

ironmaidn 1 Jun 2013

Seroquel is an anti-psychotic and does work well as I used to take for sleep as well but honestly the weight gain on that was no fun. Lithium is a mood stabilizer. I have taken both at same time and it was a good combination. I do have blood work every 3 months to check the lithium level in my blood. Your MD will probably moniter you. Best wishes to you. I know finding the right medications can be frustrating.