Does lithium affect kidney function levels?

balbanese 18 Jul 2014

Yes. Kidney,and liver both, and levels should be checked periodically as well as overall blood count, I would hope the prescribing physician has made you aware of the downsides to using Lithium as well as the benefits. Hope this helps.

WildcatVet 18 Jul 2014

Lithium byproducts, like most drugs, are eliminated through the kidneys and there is a risk of glomerular or tubal damage that can lead to kidney disease.
There's no rhyme or reason to who might be affected and it's not dosage related, but certainly long term use will make you more susceptible.
My doctor orders a full blood panel and blood lithium level every 6mos. I've taken lithium now for quite some time with no problems ~ and I love it! It's the only medication that's ever worked for me.

KevinFromSydney 20 May 2015

Yes, I have been taking Lithium for Bipolar I disorder since I was 16 years old ( I'm now 42 ). My kidney function levels have been decreasing since I was about 30. I want to stay on Lithium because it has been so effective for me and I have been able to live a 'normal' life on it. My kidney specialist tells me that my kidneys will eventually cease functioning and I will need a kidney transplant or dialysis.