Lisinopril - why would my DR give me this med for high b/p when its for diabetic kidney disease?

chuck1957 12 Feb 2017

Lynn; This is used more for blood pressure than anything else. Here is an easy to read copy and paste from the Lisinopril information. Your doctor is Correct. (Lisinopril is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) in adults and children who are at least 6 years old.

Lisinopril is also used to treat congestive heart failure in adults or to improve survival after a heart attack. Have a good day

Stephen Treloar 13 Feb 2017

https://www.drugs.com/pro/lisinopril.html It has a warning about use in people with Renal problems.

Inactive 24 Feb 2017

I was prescribed it due to moderately high blood pressure, although my MD said he also wanted to protect my kidneys from diabetic complications. My original BP was around 150/90. With Lisinopril it is now around 130/80.

I am ok at 20mg/day. It is a BP med first and foremost, and not the only one I tried. It has almost no side effects. If it helps my kidneys I'm good with that too.

Chyk41 24 Feb 2017

Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor and it is to control high blood pressure. It is normally given to patients with heart conditions. There is a small amount of it that works as a diuretic to stop the possible problem of edema. But it is not given for kidney disease other then to lower the blood pressure on the kidney. High BP can destroy your kidneys.