Hi,
I started taking Lexapro 4 weeks ago together with clonzepam for the build-up phase. 2 Weeks on 5mg and 1 week on 10mg Everything went fine until after the third week when i developed tinnitus. At first I didn`t worry about it because it`s a rare but known side effect of the drug and i thought it would go away soon.

Then it got worse. It got to a volume thats keeping me awake at night. Then i did some research on the net and saw some very scary stories that this could be permanent and may stay after quitting the drug. Because i couldn`t sleep anymore, espiecially after hearing about the possible permanence of this side-effect i have quit the lexapro abruptly.

I quit the drug on monday with good hopes it would go away soon. But now, 5 days after quitting the drug the tinnitus is still there! It really freaks me out that this isn`t gone even after the drug should be out of my system.

Can anyone that knows about this side effect or had a similair experience while on lexapro or another SSRI please give me an answer? Did it go away for you after quitting the drug and how long did it take? Maybe if i hear some positive feedback i`ll be able to calm down a bit. I know its not the tinnitus keeping me awake but the fear of it! Unfortonately there is no button to turn of either of those

Also i wonder if my serotonin levels could still be high even after quitting the drug for a couple of days. The tinnitus could be caused by the high serotonin levels in your blood that have an effect on your ear`s blood vessels. If thats the case i guess there`s no harm done and i just have to wait until be serotonin levels are back to normal. Anyone has some info on that?