Levothyroxine - did you gain a lot of weight with this medicine?

aliqa 29 Jun 2014

A lot of people on levothyroxin complains of weight gain. I don,t think is much of a problem, all u have to do is watch what you eat and exercise more.

tmbirdie 1 Jul 2014

I don't think that is true. I was not over weight when I started taking Levo about 11 months ago. And I was only borderline hypothyroid, and I had had two surgeries prior that which could have caused it to be slightly elevated. I have gained about 15 pounds since I started taking it, but in the past three months have lost about 7, but it has been like pulling teeth to get that off. I decided today that I am going off as my thyroid tested completely normal two weeks ago. In fact it was at about 1.4 which is on the lower end of normal. I have read where people that have either switched from "Levo" to a name brand or have stopped taking it, have had better success with their weight. I don't think this medication is very good compared to what I have been reading and my own experience. So I will write back and let you know whether I lose weight easier or not after stopping it. I am very disciplined with my diet and exercise too.