Levothyroxine - is it safe to take mega-t a dietary supplement with this medication?

HPoole 8 Sep 2011

you can take any vitamin or mineral or supplement with levothyroxine, ONLY as long as you DO NOT take your levothyroxine within 4-6 hours of taking ANY OTHER PILL/MEDICATION/SUPPLEMENT/HERB/VITAMIN/MINERAL. so to be safe, i'd spread them out to take one in the a.m and the other at p.m.

Jovanna 9 Sep 2011

I have been told by my endocrinologist to leave 3-4 hrs between the time you take any amount of calcium and the levothyroxine. I used to take my levothyroxine in the morning, but i found it hard to get in all my calcium as the day went on b/c if I didn't take the calcium earlier, I'd forget to take it all by day's end, I was caught in the middle trying to do a balancing act for each pill I had to take. My new endocrinologist told me to take my levothyroxine at bedtime, which I find a Godsend, b/c now when I wake up in the morning I can start taking my vitamins/calcium right away. I would suggest you bring this up to your endocrinologist too if it is easier for you to take the levothyroxine at night. As usual, at night as in the morning, you must wait an hour or two after eating something b/4 taking the levothyroxine. It's still easier for me to do the nighttime levothyroxine overall.