Hello, I am 28 years old and I was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 when I was 25. I have had three episodes and my 3rd relapse happened recently in June of 2016. I was at the hospital for 1 week and I was released thinking that I was better, but I wasn't. At that time, when I met with my psychiatrist, she added Zyprexa along with Lithium that I was taking before and I gradually gained 10-15 pounds! That was my biggest issue and on top of that, I was still feeling paranoid and having anxiety attacks so both medications did not work out for me. I was also had psychosis and I started feeling depressed because I was unexpectedly hospitalized again and I questioned when I would be back to "normal" again as far as getting my happiness and active lifestyle back. I didn't like the fact that I gained weight and I was comparing myself before when I was smaller.

Then, I saw my doctor again and she took Zyprexa out and added Latuda with Lithium. Still, I wasn't comfortable and I guess I was anxious to get better and again, my issue was my weight gain so finally, she took Lithium and Latuda out and prescribed me with an FDA approved medication close to Lithium, LAMICTAL. I started with a low dosage but at times I would cry and get emotional with my mom telling her that I feel hopeless and I wonder if I will get better. I felt depressed but now I'm at 100mg which will increase to 200mg and I hope for a better change. Actually, the 100mg has slowly helped because I don't feel the way I felt before when I took the other meds. My only concern now is my weight and the fact that I will hopefully get back to my normal happy and active life. They say Lamictal makes you lose weight and it doesn't really make you gain weight, hopefully that is true. Thank you for reading my story. I hope I get a response.