What kind of food should you not eat or drank while taking coumadin?

masso 8 Jul 2014

"Nutrition and diet can affect your treatment with warfarin. Therefore, it is important to keep your vitamin supplement and food intake steady throughout treatment. For example, increasing vitamin K levels in the body can promote clotting and reduce the effectiveness of warfarin. While there is no need to avoid products that contain vitamin K, you should maintain a consistent level of consumption of these products. Foods rich in vitamin K include beef liver, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, collard greens, endive, kale, lettuce, mustard greens, parsley, soy beans, spinach, Swiss chard, turnip greens, watercress, and other green leafy vegetables. Moderate to high levels of vitamin K are also found in other foods such as asparagus, avocados, dill pickles, green peas, green tea, canola oil, margarine, mayonnaise, olive oil, and soybean oil. However, even foods that do not contain much vitamin K may occasionally affect the action of warfarin.

kaismama 8 Jul 2014

You can eat anything, just don't change your diet and suddenly include a vit K food you didn't eat for months. Your dose will be determined according to your usual diet. I know the ads for the newer anticoagulants imply that there is a diet you have to have to follow. They're wrong. They're trying to sell their drug.

jenashley 14 Jul 2014

I was pleasantly surprised today at my INR result. I haven't been a nazi about what I eat and I still hit a 2.6. I was scared I'd be under. It's not something to get overly stressed about.