What kind of pill would be best for a severe stress, anxiety level and also help with depression?

dlelacheur 21 Jan 2016

I've had amazing results with Celexa. It's helped me so much with exactly those issues--- stress, anxiety and depression. I started at 10mg and very soon after saw vast improvement in my mood and reaction to life.

I was very fortunate that my primary care physician saw in me signs of anxiety and depression and as a result she recommended Celexa. Over the last 9 months it's drastically improved the quality of my life. I'm on 40mg now (the max dose), and it's still working for me. Just don't forget to take it for a few days... That's an emotional rollercoaster you do not want to ride on.

I hope this was helpful! Good luck and don't give up. It does get better. *hugs*

WildcatVet 21 Jan 2016

I agree! Celexa and it's cousin Lexapro are quite commonly prescribed for depression with anxiety features. Effexor is another good one.
It's impossible to predict how the drug will affect each individual user though so don't be disappointed if the first medication you try doesn't work so well for you. That happens to most of us but eventually we find the drug that works best for us.
Be sure to give the drug a fair trial as it can take 4-8 weeks before you start feeling the positive benefits.
Best wishes to you, WCV

connie2431 26 Jan 2016

Each comment has its merits. When ssri's are not an option it's time to find something else. Hopefully you will find a compassionate professional who is willing to spend time with you and really listen!!'

masso 21 Jan 2016

I took Paxil and it worked very well.
There are many choices, but bare in mind that what may work for me in this case it may not for you: I was lucky, but a start would be to speak with your Dr.

Paxil is used in the treatment of anxiety and stress; anxiety; depression; obsessive compulsive disorder; generalized anxiety disorder (and more), and belongs to the drug class selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.

https://www.drugs.com/paxil.html

Best of luck,

masso.-

Joanna Hampton 22 Jan 2016

I was where you are and still struggling with the same chronic, overwhelming anxiety and stress. For depression I find Paxil most effective, but its an antidepressant with some small amount of anxiety medication which is enough for many people but not me as I suffer similar debilitating anxiety where I can barely function. Due to my prolonged chronic anxiety disorder and panic attacks I was prescribed clonazapam a very effective antianxiety medication in addition to my Paxil. I now can function, enjoy the things I used to before my diagnosis and treatment.

connie2431 26 Jan 2016

each doctor is going to recommend something different. I cannot take ssri's (paxil, effexor, lexapro, etc). I was having meltdowns while trying to take pieces of them to try to get them in my system. My neurologist told me never to take them. Right now, I use xanax xr... total 4.5 throughout the day. To me, it's a lot but as soon as i feel better,I'll reduce it. I've done it before!!! You need to find someone to work with you. As you try therapy, also look into meditation. at first I thought it silly but it did help a little. Keep in mind anxiety rings frustration and depression. Ask around for a good compassionate doctor. It may take a bit, but you will feel better. Take care. connie

Joanna Hampton 26 Jan 2016

Connie I wish I had your doctor, someone compassionate. If he/she is taking new patients I'd take a plane to get there as going to mine is making my anxiety & depression worse. Joanna

chuck1957 22 Jan 2016

Bird there really is not one good answer for everyone all the meds talked about are great but it is how our system breaks them down and such the best you can do is see the doctor because they really don't like when you go in and ask for a medications it's a hit and miss but any of these could help you and many more but the first step is getting into the doctor and get started on these medications. best of luck and welcome to our life. Chuck1957

Joanna Hampton 23 Jan 2016

I got an email representing you, Chuck1957, to read your response to Birdgirl after mine had been posted.
I suggested she ask her doctor for something that would help stop her extreme, debilitating anxiety in a low dose until her depression meds kicked in. I also suggested looking into therapy with. a specially trained social worker where you only pay what you can afford, being on disability I wasn't charged once for my years in therapy.
I don't condone the taking of medication for every minor complaint but Birdgirl is suffering greatly. Birdi could have many responsibilities weighing her down, making her very anxious. If Birdi is a
mother that's extra pressure in trying to hide her symptoms from them as even young kids can pick up on more than we realize. I truly hope her fear subsides so she can again enjoy the things that make her happy. ~Joanna H

into therapy with a trained social worker who knows about the disorders we suffer from and money isn't a concern, you p

howielinux 27 Jan 2016

When picking an anti depressant Dr's generally always use the same algorithm which you can find anywhere online and whats wrong with being informed on 1st line drugs that you know he is going to pick from, he isn't going to go over every possible SE every little quirk with drug, they simply wont have the time so if you read up and it seems like Zoloft will work better for you than say Prozac why not suggest it? if your Dr doesn't like to deal with informed Pts find a new one!

StarGlitter 26 Jan 2016

Hi Bird, we are all different; and although our symptoms are very similar, different medications work differently for all of us. Rather than suggest something to your physician, I suggest you let them know all of your symptoms, and let them prescribe for you. In addition, your best bet would be to go a specialist (a psychiatrist) because many medical doctors just don't know all the symptoms and all the medications out there that can help your situation. I have taken Xanax for 30 years for my panic attacks, and Prozac for my OCD. And they work great for me, but not necessarily for someone else. Good luck, and let us know how things go! StarGlitter

syedaubaid 26 Jan 2016

Cymbalta

howielinux 27 Jan 2016

Have you considered a combination of Remeron and Wellbutrin XL? or Lexapro and Wellbutrin XL with 15-30mg of Tranxene at bedtime? IDK why people recommend Celexa when Lexapro works faster

wannabbetter 30 Jan 2016

Celexa is cheaper than Lexapro.

howielinux 30 Jan 2016

They are both generic and on many $4 and $5 plans

bil3112 2 Feb 2016

Like others have said, a good person to talk to would be a doctor, the best person to talk to would be a psychiatrist because that's their line of work. I took celexa (citalopram generic 10mg,) at night and .5mg tablet of klonopin (clonazepam,) in the morning and that did the trick for over 9 years. Doctor's will sometimes prescibe a benzo for the initial month of starting an SSRI in order to reduce side effects, but I ended up staying on them for a while. Hope this helps and good luck