Ketoconazole - what is the mechanism of ketokonazole in treatment of prostatic cancer?

kathyhanson 12 Jul 2013

Hello drfn68. Welcome to DC!!

To be honest, I do not see the connection between Ketoconazole and prostate cancer. I did a little research and drugs.com says:

"Ketoconazole is used to treat infections caused by fungus, which can invade any part of the body including the mouth, throat, esophagus, lungs, bladder, or skin."

Read more at https://www.drugs.com/mtm/ketoconazole.html

From this info, I can only assume that you have developed some sort of fungal infection. Are you getting chemo or radiation treatments? Either of those can cause infections because they can effect your immune system, leaving you more prone to infection. This site has alot of good info on ketoconazole. I recommend that you read it at the link provided. If you still don't understand why the doctor has prescribed this for you, call his/her nurse and ask that it be explained to you. You need to know what your Rx's are for and what benefit your doctor hopes to gain by you taking it. I do not think this med is for treatment of your prostate cancer, but for the treatment of a secondary infection due to the cancer. I hope this helps. Once your doctor's office explains why you are taking this med, can you please let me know? I'm curious now. I'll add you as a friend so you can send me a private question. Just click on my name and it will take you to my profile page where there is a link to ask a private question.
Regards,
Kathy