I've been on lisinopril for a while and now my doctor wants a blood test. Is this really needed?

Rajive Goel 3 May 2010

I take ramipril 5mg X 2 a day, it is quite normal for the doc. to ask for a blood test, possibly to ascertain the doubt of sugar in the blood, hope this helps, best of luck.

marjorie zych 3 May 2010

Your doctor probably wants to check your kidney and liver function, sometimes that can be affected by blood pressure meds like Lisinopril. I am on Norvasc and Lisinopril and my husband is also on Lisinopril and we both have our blood tested every few months usually about every 6. Did the doctor actually say what kind of blood test he/she wanted? You have the right to ask what it is for if you want to, but it is probably just what I said earlier just a check on liver/kidney function I don't think it's anything to worry about he/she is probably just being cautious. Hope this eases your mind some.

marjorie zych 3 May 2010

Oh yah, I never thought of the sugar level too. Again just precautionary measures, at least the doctor is looking out for you.

Rajive Goel 3 May 2010

Yeah sure, it could be just a precautionary test, best of luck.