Isn't a Hydrocodone like Dilaudid the same as Oxycodone? And what is the diffrence ?

LaurieShay 10 Jan 2012

There are numerous different semi synthetic opiates such as hydrocodone, oxycodone and Dilaudid which is hydromorphone. Each is slightly different chemically though all are opiates. Oxycodone is a stronger pain reliever than the hydrocodone. So no, they are not the same.

skinny0927 10 Jan 2012

But isn't Dilaudid a Morphine also ? And would it show up in drug test as an Opiate or something else ?

babyr0423 10 Jan 2012

I agree with Laurie and I have taken them. They are not the same at all. Ruth

LaurieShay 10 Jan 2012

They are all derived from the alkaloids of the opium poppy. So in that sense they are the same. Morphine is a natural opiate while dilaudid is a man made opiate. They will all show as opiate in a basic urine screen.

babyr0423 10 Jan 2012

good answer Laurie!!

jessiesgurl 16 Jan 2012

my doc said hydrocodone morphs into hydromorphone in the liver... depending on the amount of hydrocodone. he just prescribed it for me but have not taken it yet.

babyr0423 16 Jan 2012

Good luck. :) Ruth

jessiesgurl 16 Jan 2012

we all could use the luck. and my doc prescribed hydrocodone and oxycodone interchangeably. as the person taking them i noticed no difference