Is Zyprexa actually good for insomnia symptoms?

clm1970 7 Jan 2010

Zyprexa is not my first choice for insomnia as it is one of the most likely to cause rebound insomnia. Ask your provider about about alternatives such as: Periactin, Vistaril, or Trazadone.
Good luck!

Psyched 7 Jan 2010

Brooklynese,
I agree with the above answer. Zyprexa is meant to be used as an antipsychotic; mainly for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder with severe manic episodes. I wouldn't take it for insomnia. There are a lot of sedatives your doctor can prescribe you: Restoril, Rozerem, Vistaril, Lunesta... these are pretty popular at the hospital where I work. Maybe you could ask your doctor about one of these. Hope this helps.

cat4367 3 Jun 2010

I have had insomnia for years and i started taking zyprexa and i have not had any trouble sleeping since. Good luck

rvnew 9 Dec 2011

I guess it depends on what is causing your insomnia. I wouldn't choose a drug like Zyprexa, an antipsyhchotic, for insomnia. But some people with serioius mental illnesses that prevent sleep might only benefit from a drug like Zyprexa. I have a friend who obviously has some kind of nervous condition and her brain just won't shut down to go to sleep no matter what. She's on Seroquel, Trazadone, Ambien, an over the counter sleep aid, Geodon, and still had trouble sleeping. Then after adding Zyprexa after a few months she started being able to sleep. I wouldn't use Zyprexa if I didn't need to. Take care.