Is zinc oxide useful to use on a puppy with severe itch?

itsmetoo2 29 Sep 2009

Instead of Zinc Oxide try Aloe Vera Gel on the spot. Also mix some Aloe Vera liquid in the puppy's food. This is totally natural.

jeannie2515 29 Sep 2009

OK thank you

itsmetoo2 29 Sep 2009

Just thinking, are you using dog shampoo? Is this possible that this is a dry spot? If so you can give the puppy warm olive oil treatment as many people use hot oil treatments on their hair.
Anyway use Aloe Vera

rosietobi 22 Sep 2010

I heard Aloe Vera is poison to dogs. Is this not the case? Also, what is the answer: is zinc oxide okay for dogs itch?

rosietobi 22 Sep 2010

itsmetoo2 22 Sep 2010

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/zinc-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Zinc Toxicity in DogsBy: Dr. Douglas Brum

Zinc toxicity is a fairly uncommon disorder that is caused by the ingestion of zinc-containing foreign bodies and is most commonly seen in young dogs. Zinc is directly irritating to the stomach lining so it may cause gastrointestinal irritation.

The most common causes of zinc toxicity include ingestion of:

Pennies minted after 1982. Pennies minted after 1982 have a significantly higher concentration of zinc than pennies minted in 1982 or before. If the copper coating of the penny is broken, the toxicity is increased since the gastric acid can reach the zinc center of the penny causing a rapid absorption of the zinc.

Zinc nuts and bolts, which can be found in transport cages

Galvanized metals

Zinc-containing ointments (e.g.

I hope this article helps...

itsmetoo2 22 Sep 2010

The question about the aloe vera being toxic is a good question. If you use a high quality of aloe vera you will be doing your animal a good deed. It is when you buy inferior product, loaded with other chemicals is what brings you problems. Read this article, and I think you will agree, this is great stuff.
Best to you and your dog.

http://www.aloe-vera-use.com/my-aloe-vera-use.html