Is ultram a narcotic now? do they show up on a drug test? is ultram and ultracet the same thing?

hmhaas 11 Nov 2009

Ultram is considered a controlled substance in the pharmaceutical eyes. It will show up on a drug test (as do any medication you put into your body) and Ultracet is Ultram with Aceteminophen (a.k.a. Tylenol) in it.

Anonymous 12 Nov 2009

I AM GOING TO HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH HMHAAS, IN REGARDS TO HIS ANSWER THAT ANY DRUGS IN YOUR SYSTEM /BODY WILL SHOW UP ON A DRUG SCREEN. YOU KNOW THAT I HAVE ENTERED QUESTIONS ( ALONG WITH OTHERS) , ABOUT HAVING THREE URINE DRUG SCREENS DONE WITHIN A TIME SPAN OF AROUND 3 MONTHS, ALL OF WHICH RESULTED IN
A NEGATIVE ON ALL DRUGS , WHICH IS ENTIRELY WRONG!!! I TAKE KLONAPIN 1 MG TID x OVER 10 YEARS!! AND VICOPROPHEN 7.5/200 MG Q 4 HRS FOR PAIN FOR THE PAST TWO PLUS YEARS.
IF YOU ARR GOING TO MAKE AN EDUCATED ? STATEMENT, THEN WHY NOT
ADDRESS SOME OF US WHOSE LIVES HAVE BEEN TURNED UPSIDE DOWN BY THESE KIND OF RESULTS??? QUICK OVERVIEW: THREE URINE DRUG SCREENS, THREE FALSE NEGATIVES...

simplycajun2006 11 Jun 2011

Ultram is a glorified asprin!! I cannot believe that it would even be considered as a controlled substance!!! Geez!

BenCoates 22 Aug 2012

No, it is NOT considered a controlled substance in pharmaceutical eyes. While in the opioid class with morphine and oxycodone, it has a different mechanism of action. It is more selective with respect to the receptors it acts on. Neither 50mg nor 100mg will cause a "high," but it will not make you miss 10mg oxycodone, so perhaps ultram is an acceptable drug to transition off other opioids. Now that I am off the ultram too, I do miss it, but it is not the same kind of psychological withdrawal (i.e., depression) as when you run out of a drug like 10mg oxycodone.

BenCoates 22 Aug 2012

I should add that the reason for taking it to help wean off a more powerful opioid is that it is effective in removing background fatique, soreness, and stress you may not have even knew you had or which is a part of everyday life once you hit the end of a long day or middle age. I find that a 100mg dose once a day just before dinner will give me 6-8 hours of "capability" -- a general feeling of well-being to stay up late and work or squeeze a little more enjoyment out of time with the wife. Again, no serious high -- maybe a buzz if combined with 500 mg of acetaminophen. The benefit of this drug is that your doctor will be more willing to prescribe it to you. If you go asking him for oxycodone, you will get labelled a drug seeker.

Beets 26 Nov 2012

totally false, your statement above, ultram, tramadol, torridol, all are totally non-narcotic pain relievers. there is no opiods in them, or they would be narcotic because opiods come from poppy plants! they are almost comparable to an aspirin, or my pain is just that much greater than most.
doctors are afraid of getting a little 500 dollar fine, after all we pay them, so they try to not prescribe narcotics to people who really need them cause the DEA overrides everything that they try to do., including practicing their medicine. A really good doctor will have the balls to treat their patients accordingly to what they need. so my suggestion would be go to a bigger town, cause in a small town they don't make as much, they probably D average doctors, and thats why they are in a small town.

BenCoates 27 Nov 2012

Beets you are totally off. There are opioids in ultram.

suzannemaclean 24 Jul 2013

This message is to Beets. Ultram/Tramadol does have a small amount of narcotic. Although its on the vey end of the spectrum.