Can Trazodone be used as a sleep aid? Does it work in the same way as Zanaflex?

Anonymous 1 Aug 2010

Hi, No it is not a sleep aid.- and they do not have the same use.-

I AM NOT A DOCTOR NOR PRETEND TO BE ONE AT ALL.-

I have listed possible solutions for sleeping, I understand you because I suffer from insomnia.

Trazodone is an antidepressant medication. It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression
Trazodone is used to treat depression.

Zanalex (tizanidine) is a short-acting muscle relaxer. It works by blocking nerve impulses (pain sensations) that are sent to your brain.
Tizanidine is used to treat spasticity by temporarily relaxing muscle tone.

Over-the-counter (OTC) sleep aids

The main ingredient of over-the-counter sleeping pills is an antihistamine. Antihistamines are generally taken for allergies. However, histamine, a chemical messenger in the brain, promotes wakefulness, so antihistamine also has the effect of making you feel very sleepy. Some OTC sleep aids also include a pain reliever. Common OTC sleep medications, with a link to Medline Plus drug information from NIH, include:

Diphenhydramine (found in brand names like Nytol, Sominex, Sleepinal, Compoz)

Doxylamine (found in brand names like Unisom, Nighttime Sleep Aid)

OTC sleep aids are meant to be used for short term insomnia. Tolerance to the medication, meaning that you need a higher dosage of the medication for it to work, can develop in only a few days.-

Melatonin receptor agonist hypnotic

This medication mimics the sleep regulation hormone melatonin. It has little risk of physical dependency but does have side effects. It is used for sleep onset problems and is not effective for problems in staying asleep.

Ramelteon (Rozerem)

A much stronger solution.-

Benzodiazepines.-they are prescribed by your Doctor and can be very addicting... ask your doctor about benefits and side effects.- And for how long you should use them for.-

Ativan --lorazepam
Klonopin--clonazepam
Xanax--alprazolam
Valium--diazepam
Versed--midazolam
ProSom, Eurodin--estazolam
Apo-Triazo, Halcion, Hypam, and Trilam--triazolam
Restoril--- tamazepam

I hope I am not stepping on anybodies toes, I suffer from insomnia and I empathize with other people.-

All the best.-