Is Tramodol addictive? I am taking it for severe Post Herpetic Neuralgia from Shingles?

Rajive Goel 22 Sep 2011

Yes it is addictive, Tramadol hydrochloride is a prescription medication approved to treat moderate to moderately severe pain in adults. Currently, tramadol is not considered a controlled substance or a narcotic by the United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). However, this medication has significant potential for abuse and is classified as a controlled substance in certain states.

Take care, wish you a speedy recovery.

Anonymous 22 Sep 2011

Hi drmart,
I must agree with my friend Rajive, tis indeed addictive. We have many people trying to get off of Tramadol. It is unique, Ultram or Tramadol has SNRI qualities to it. Like certain antidepressants. It affects the serotonin, norepinephrine centers of the brain. Some people find themselves depressed after Tram cessation. IF you find yourself clinically depressed after stopping it, please seek medical attention right away, depression is nothing to muck about with.
Depending on how long and how much you were/ are taking, it may not affect you at all. Stopping it may be a breeze. It depends on the person and the situation as well.
Best wishes, and if you add that info we can better help you!!

Rajive Goel 22 Sep 2011

Thanks Lara, are you well? I did see your question this morning, but did nbot deliberately answer it.

You be well & take care of yourself.

Anonymous 22 Sep 2011

Hi RG, I'm doing fine, and you sir?

Mary is right!! Much better alternative! Yer a smart one Mary!!
xoxo sister!

Anonymous 22 Sep 2011

A much better med for shingles pain would be gabepentin or lyrica...

Rajive Goel 22 Sep 2011

Mary is right...

cainon25 22 Sep 2011

I remember when doctors thought that Tramadol wasnt addictive and they would hand them out like candy(instead of vicodin). Yes they are addictive and they are quite hard to get off of. They maybe a tiny bit safer than taking vicodin, but non the less addictive. But in my opinion if i were in pain i would choose to take ultram(tramadol) before another pain med, just because it does seem to take a little longer to get hooked. Unless it dosent work and im in serious pain, then bring out the big guns lol.