Skip to Content

Is there any medications for overactive bladder that you can buy without perscription?

Responses (1)

suzanne66 27 Aug 2009

Urge incontinence or overactive bladder involves a strong, sudden need to urinate. Then the bladder contracts, leading to urine leakage.
The choice of treatment will depend on how severe the symptoms are, and how much they interfere with your lifestyle. There are three main treatment approaches for urge incontinence: medication, retraining, and surgery.
If evidence of infection is found in a urine culture, your doctor will prescribe antibiotics.
Medications used to treat urge incontinence relax the involuntary bladder contractions and help improve bladder function. There are several types of medications that may be used alone or in combination:
Anticholinergic agents (oxybutynin, tolterodine, enablex, sanctura, vesicare, oxytrol)
Antispasmodic medications (flavoxate)
Tricyclic antidepressants (imipramine, doxepin)
Oxybutynin (Ditropan) and tolterodine (Detrol) are medications to relax the smooth muscle of the bladder. These are the most commonly used medications for urge incontinence and are available in a once-a-day formula that makes dosing easy and effective.
Flavoxate (Urispas) is an antispasmodic drug. However, studies have shown that it is not always effective at controlling symptoms of urge incontinence.
Tricyclic antidepressants have also been used to treat urge incontinence because of their ability to "paralyze" the bladder smooth muscle.

All the above drugs are prescription medicines. You will need to see your doctor. free discount card

Search for questions

Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.

Similar Questions