Is there a test to diagnose Fibromyalgia or is it diagnosed by symptoms?

familyman23 20 Dec 2009

ronnie,
I don't think there are tests that can totally verify fibromyalgia, it more or less is diagnosed, by key symptoms and by eliminating other dieseases with blood work. If they do have new potentials for dianosing, I do not know of them at this point. I work in the medical field but I am not a doctor. I can tell you it is mis-diagnosed alot.

goofgirl 21 Dec 2009

There is no blood test or imaging that can diagnose fibromyalgia. It's more a diagnosis obtained by self-reported symtpoms, identifying tender points, and eliminating other possible diseases such as thyroid conditions, Lupus, Epstien-Barr virus, lyme disease, etc. Your doctor would most likely run a complete blood panel on you, and some specific blood tests to rule out various other issues if you go to him/her with the symptoms of fibromyalgia. It is because of the lack of a definitive test that it can be so frustrating for people with fibro, because many in the medical community don't give much weight to it as a syndrome and are reluctant to diagnose it. If you think you might have fibro, I suggest you list out your symptoms in writing, and take it with you when you visit your primary doctor. Or even better, find a specialist like an endocrinologist, rheumatologist or pain specialist. Go through the blood work, xrays, etc.

zoey72 22 Dec 2009

ronnie1, i'm not sure ... but i have wondered the same thing. I've heard that they do a couple of different things like check for tender spots, i think you have to have like 18 or maybe 15... not sure. But there are no tests that say 100% sure you have it . Have you ever been on lyrica ? I was for a while and was very hopeful that it would make me feel better because they give it to alot of people with fibro.Sorry i could n't be more helpful .