Is there a risk to pt with COPD and heart disease (blocked artery) given seroquel as sleep aid?

jaliceII 4 Jan 2011

It was told to me that any type of sleeping pill is dangerous for COPD patients since it suppresses the breathing. I once took a sleeping pill prescribed by my primary physician and landed in the hospital's Intensive Care Unit on a ventillator.

eyes on the sky 5 Jan 2011

Be very careful. My oxygen level would drop down in low 80's. Central sleep apnea is usually caused by suppressed breathing. The good thing is that a new BIPAP Machine that will trigger a breath if you are shallow breathing or if your breathing pauses. God bless & be very careful

eyes on the sky 5 Jan 2011

Psyched 4 Jan 2011

Betti913,
Also, Seroquel is an antipsychotic. Personally, I wouldn't WANT to take it just as a sleep aid. There are many other meds designed for sleep that would be better suited to help a person sleep.