Is there a generic drug for Provigil? My copay for this drug is $70!?

Rajive Goel 24 Nov 2010

There are currently no generic Provigil products licensed for sale. Although the first patent for Provigil expired in November 2007, the manufacturer claims that another patent still protects the drug. The settlement from a recent lawsuit regarding this issue states that one company can start making a generic version in 2012; this is the soonest that a generic version could become available.

legallyred 2 Mar 2011

As of 2011, there is still no generic for Provigil. They have come out with Nuvigil which is supposed to be like Provigil but provides a longer period of wakefulness. I understand the financial pain of this medicine since my co-pay is $150. It is a struggle to pay for it, and I watch carefully for any generic to hit the market. Nothing has come about yet.