Is there a difference between Zoloft and its generic? I have just started on Sertraline 25 mg?

ElizaJane23 20 Aug 2011

There could be a difference big enough that would affect you. I've heard that Generics just have to be within 20 percent of the amount of the active ingredient. I don't know about you, but taking up to one-fifth less on the dosage can be enough to feel differently. That's not to say that each generic is 20% less - just that in can be UP to that amount. Also every medication has fillers, preservatives, binders, caulking agents, dyes, etc in the inactive ingredients - even in the brand name. Based upon your body and how it functions, allergies you might have, etc the medication could absorb differently. If you detect a huge difference you may need to ask your doctor to specify brand Name Necessary on your prescriptions. Best wishes -

Jillynnie 20 Aug 2011

Marybeth - I was on both in past years on two seperate occasions, and saw no difference. Both were able to accomplish what I was prescribed them for. Hope this helps.

booter46 20 Aug 2011

I too have seen no difference. But generics are different and could effect you different than me. I am sorry I do not have a better answer.

elnelson08865 10 Dec 2016

My has found a huge difference between Serra line and Zoloft, and can only take brand.

sweetie pie 20 Aug 2011

Hello marybeth23! I have been on both. I have also been on Sertraline for years now. I was previously on Zoloft. I have never noticed any difference. I know Sertraline is cheaper. I really do not think there is much difference but you can try Sertraline and see if it works for you. I wish you the best! Sweetie Pie

Anonymous 20 Aug 2011

No difference at all. Sertraline HCL is Zoloft, Zoloft is just the trade name, which is what you end up paying big bucks for. ;)