Is Oxycodone really about 3 times stronger than hydrocodone? A doctor told me this a few years ago?

christineATU 27 Jul 2010

Most people find it works much better than hydrocodone but it also depends on the mgs. Personally, I think it's more like 2X as strong, not 3. But it still would depend on mgs. and the individuals metabolism and tolerances to opioids.

Best wishes,

Anonymous 27 Jul 2010

California_Soul74, Oxycodone is 1 1/2 times stronger as a general rule. The Oxy is shorter acting than the hydro, therefore the need to take oxy more often creates a problem in that it becomes more addicting (and harder to withdrawal from). Also keep in mind there is a difference between Oxycodone and Oxycontin as far as duration and effect. I am not a Dr. and this is from my own research, so, hope this helps. Julie

newsgrl 12 May 2012

I was given Vicoden 7.5/ 750. Pain in meniscus tear got worse a few weeks prior to surgery, then I was given Percocet 5/325. I asked my pharmacist she told me they are almost the same drug, except the Percocet may be slightly and she said it twice SLIGHTLY stronger. Well here is what I noticed, which was a great improvement. Two weeks prior to surgery it felt like my knee jammed even more. I wasn't getting a break from the Vicoden. The first Percocet I took I could tell it started working differently on me. My knee kept cracking and cracking. Apparently it was guarded and whatever was in or the strength of the Percocet had exactly what I needed to get past that agony I was in. It was actually the only time I had to take it. Until after surgery which then I was given 10/325. I must say I believe all these drugs work differently on all of us. So as far as which is stronger it's up to who's taking it and why.