Is methadone a 24 hour drug?

LaurieShay 23 Jul 2011

Hey parrish,

Not sure what you mean by a 24 hour drug, but methadone is considered a long acting drug compared to some of the other opiates such as oxycodone. It is taken just once a day for opiate withdrawal or every 3 to 12 hours for pain.

Hope this helps,

Laurie

parrish 25 Jul 2011

thanx

ElizaJane23 23 Jul 2011

Used in controlling cravings for addiction/dependence, methadone is dispensed in one 24-hr dose. When prescribing methadone for chronic pain it is best taken 1/2 the dose twice a day or 1/3 the dose three times a day so the patient doesn't experience highs and lows, rather they experience continuous pain control. For myself, I am on Methadone for chronic pain and find it best taking 1/2 the dose in the morning, and the other 1/2 in the evening. I get my Methadone in tablet form. Best
Wishes to you - ElizaJane.