Is it safe to administrate Saphris to a 14 year old male?

Rajive Goel 28 Dec 2011

After reading the dosage instructions on Saphris, speaking or asking a doc would be the most ideal before medication is given to a 14 year male.

Take care, best wishes!

slattery 29 Dec 2011

Yes Rajive... that was concerning me about this question also. I was hoping that the person who posed the question wasn't asking if he/she independently could give such a drug to a 14-year-old, in the absence of a doctor's directives. If that were the case, it would be highly inadvisable to give a drug of that nature to a youth. For a child of that age, I'd most certainly want to have assurances from a psychiatrist that the kid was bipolar, and upon serious discussion be sure that that this drug would be a drug of choice for a child that age. Only a doctor could touch this question really, and you were right on with your advice. If the questioner is uncomfortable with info which may have already be given out by a doctor, he/she should really seek a second opinion, because if it were my child, I would.